Osteoarthritis – a disease not of an inflammatory nature, which affects the joints (cartilage and bone parts). With timely treatment of osteoarthritis progression can be significantly slowed down. If a doctor to address late or not at all apply, the consequences may be irreversible and complete immobilization of the joint.
Arthrosis diseases are spread all over the world. Estimated frequency of arthrosis diseases is 10-15% of the world’s population. At the same time dominated by mostly older part of people (70-80% of patients after 60 years of age suffer from arthrosis). At a young age arthritis often can be found in males, in adulthood – among women.
Osteoarthritis causes of disease:
- Single causes of osteoarthritis are not there, but there are a number of predisposing factors:
- Frequent infectious disease organism (including colds, syphilis, etc.).
- Transferred previous injury of the articular surfaces of bones, cartilage, or ligaments
- Sedentary lifestyle (sedentary work over a lifetime)
- Excessive stress on the joints during the greater part of life (movers, dancers, sportsmen)
- Regular hypothermia
- Operation at higher temperatures (eg, in plants furnaces)
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis:
The first symptom of osteoarthritis is pain in the joint. Initially it was unstable, developing after a long and severe loads in the evening. Gradually, the pain is getting worse and there is more and more often. With a significant lesion of joint pain is almost constant, disturbed at night, disturbing the patient’s sleep. It is also characterized by “starting” pain – the first 5-30 minutes after the first motion in the morning the patient feels discomfort in the joints, which gradually decreases.
At movement in the affected joint clicks. This symptom can occur at any stage of the disease.
Periodically, there is swelling of the affected joint with no signs of overt inflammation.
With long-term course of the disease the patient loses the ability of motion in the affected joint, changing the gait and appearance of the affected area.
Classification of Osteoarthritis:
To differentiate the different people arthrosis, classification of the disease have been developed.
As causal factors:
- Primary arthrosis – the disease develops without precedence or joints of the body as a whole. The only reasons may be an increased load, sedentary lifestyle, exposure to low or high temperatures.
- Secondary arthrosis – develops after suffering some disease of the joints or the general intoxication
Localization of joint damage:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee
- Osteoarthritis of the hip
- Osteoarthritis of the shoulder joint
- Osteoarthritis of the joints of the spine (ankylosing spondylitis)
- Osteoarthritis phalanges
- Metatarsophalangeal arthrosis